For those of you wondering what El Paso County’s stance is on animals – here’s an amendment as of February 2013
RESOLUTION NO. 13-099
BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS COUNTY OF EL PASO, STATE OF COLORADO RESOLUTION TO AMEND THE ANIMAL KEEPING ALLOWANCES FOR CHICKENS IN RESIDENTIAL ZONING DISTRICTS AND MODIFY USE TABLE 5-2 TO ALLOW A HOBBY FARM IN THE RR2.5 (RESIDENTIAL RURAL) DISTRICT OF THE EL PASO COUNTY LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE (LDC-13-001)
WHEREAS, the EI Paso County Development Services Department did file a request for approval of Amendments to modify the animal keeping allowances for hen chickens in residential zoning district and modify Use Table 5-2 to allow a hobby farm in the RR2.5 (Residential Rural) District of the Land Development Code as herein described; as well as conforming amendments throughout the Code;
DONE THIS 26th day of February, 2013, at Colorado Springs, Colorado.
5.2.5 Animal Keeping
(A) Dogs and Cats: The keeping of more than 4 dogs or cats, in any combination, over 4 months of age, per ownership shall be considered a kennel and shall meet the standards for kennels.
(B) Horses: The keeping of horses shall be considered a private or commercial stable and shall meet the standards for private or commercial stable. No horses shall be kept in any zoning district that does not allow a private or commercial stable.
(C) Livestock: Livestock is allowed in any agricultural zoning district where the land is classified by this Code as a farm or ranch ; or in association with a hobby farm.
(D) Hen Chickens: In a residential zone district allowing less than 2.5 acres hen chickens are allowed per ownership. provided the standards of Section E below are met. No roosters are permitted. In zoning districts where a hobby farm is allowed there is no maximum allowed number of chickens. hen or rooster
(E) Domesticated Animals In addition to dogs, cats, horses, and livestock, other types of domesticated animals may be kept as a pet in a residential zoning district allowing less than 2.5 acres provided:
- The animals do not exceed 100 pounds in weight each;
- The animals are thoroughly secured within the boundaries of the ownership;
- The animals produce no sounds or smell that may be reasonably regarded as offensive;
- The animals are not exotic, wild or ordinarily considered dangerous; and
- The animals are properly maintained to remain healthy and to prevent the accumulation of wastes. No more than 2 other domesticated animals shall be located on any ownership except where the other domesticated animals are fish, small reptiles and amphibians, small rodents, or small birds kept within a dwelling unit where there shall be no restriction on the number kept.
No Other Animals Allowed: The keeping of animals, including exotic animals, not qualifying in any of the above categories shall not be allowed.
Amend Table 5.2 Accessory Uses to add Hobby Farm as an allowed accessory use in the RR2.5 District Hobby Farm : A parcel of land where livestock, animals, or birds are raised or garden crops grown in a manner either incidental to the principal residential use of the property or where the production of livestock or garden crops on the property does not constitute a principal income for the property owner. This would include 4H and similar types of programs.